Wednesday, September 1, 2010

After the first E 339 class, I will say that three hours was not nearly as frightening as I had imagined. I enjoyed the first sessions of all of my classes and look forward to this semester. I have never blogged before (w 200 being the exception), and so it is slightly confusing, and foreign to me. I hope that this experience will help me to become used to blogging, and grow to enjoy it. Reflections on today's class session: I am anxious to see how the writer's journal will turn out. I am wondering if I will grow to really enjoy it, or if I will simply think of it as another assignment. I have never kept a continuous journal of any type before, but I always seem to have a lot going on in my life, and in my head, so a way to get those thoughts out might be useful. I am also slightly apprehensive about this language arts cluster in general, because it seems to (obviously) focus a lot on reading and writing, two things that require a lot of time and effort for me in particular. Reading has never been a strong point of mine, because my mind wanders so much, it takes me triple the amount of time to read something. Hopefully because it is the main staple in each of the classes, the repetition will allow me to become better at it, and more comfortable sharing my ideas with multiple people. 

7 comments:

  1. Jennifer, It sounds like you are open to learning how you can personally grow as a reader and writer and that is such an important part of teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    I also have to spend a lot of time and effort on any reading or writing assignments. Like you stated in your post, reading for me is not one of my strongest aspects of school. I can relate to a wandering mind! I get distracted very easily. Hopefully this class will make us both more confident in reading and writing. I look forward to learning more about myself as well as learning from out peers in the classroom!

    Great post!

    --Marisa Mule'

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, I to am also a little concerned about this cluster. I am also taking x460 and all the classes are so similar that I cannot keep them straight and what assignments and books are for each get blurred as well. But also because writing has never been my strongest academic subject, although I really love reading. However, I am excited about the potential the writer's notebook possesses. After reading the book I see that our options and directions are limited only by our imagination. We are able to make the notebook into anything we want, putting all sorts of information we want to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I also have a hard time reading. In elementary school, I had a reading disability. I tend to read word-to-word rather than read for meaning. Therefore, my confidence isn't very high as a reader. I hope this class and other classes in our cluster will help me become a better reader and writer! After the first week of classes, I am very optimistic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with reading not being my strong suit either!! I worry that it was affect my students if I am not passionate about reading, but I notice that the stronger my writing becomes the more I enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, I completely agree with how you interpreted our first class. I was a little nervous about the three hours myself.. and still am. Reading isn't a strong point for me either but maybe we'll both become more skilled as the semester goes on.

    ReplyDelete