Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Reflection

After my third time at field experience, myself and the other two IU students, were finally able to interact more with the students. Although it was simply milling around the room, making ourselves available to answer questions, it was great to be able to be thinking like a teacher. I was able to brainstorm and guide students by asking them questions about what they wanted to convey in their own papers. This was interesting to me, because rather than telling them what was right and what was wrong, I asked them questions on what they wanted, and how they would go about doing that. It was not an easy task for myself, because I do not have a great knowledgeable background on the history of Ancient Greeks. I had to put a lot of thought into what sort of ideas I was giving the students, because I wanted to make sure they were beneficial and legitimate.
Reflecting on my teaching experiences in our class, I feel that it is much more difficult to teach to a group of peers your own age, as opposed to children at an elementary age. When teaching to peers, I feel that there is a thought that they will not gain anything by what the student is teaching, when in fact it is done to benefit the person teaching the lesson. This is what we have to realize as students working to become teachers. The purpose of the lessons we teach in class, are not to provide information to our peers, but to better ourselves and allow us to gain insight on what it will be like in our future classrooms.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comment about the difference between teaching to peers and teaching elementary students. I sometimes feel funny teaching peers because they most likely already know the information and we tend to interact with them as if they're in elementary school. As funny as we might feel while teaching to our peers, it is very helpful for our future as teachers.

    ReplyDelete