Sunday, November 14, 2010

November 10th class and Field Experience

During my November 10th field experience, I struggled with helping a student with his grammar. I felt very bad, and disappointed in myself that I could be a great help to him, because I did not know the material myself. His teacher said that he had been asking if someone could help him with his grammar for a while, so I took him in the hall with his worksheet. When he would ask specific questions about sentence structure etc. I did not know how to answer his questions. I did the best that I could, and hoped that he got something out of it. This was sort of discouraging, however I realized that there are going to be things that I simply do not know as a teacher. I know that before I teach certain material, I will be going over it, and will be better prepared, but this was just one thing that I could not be as beneficial with.

I am excited to work on a published piece. I think that it is a great idea for students to do something like this, because it allows them to work hard on something, and then feel the accomplishment of seeing it finished and polished. This can give students motivation, because they know they are creating good, and valuable work. They will feel proud to have written and made something that looks great. I think it will be fun to choose something of my own to create this way as well.

1 comment:

  1. You are right that you won't know everything- and many times students teach!

    ReplyDelete