Sunday, November 7, 2010

Kidwatching Interview

This past field experience, I interviewed my "Kidwatching kid" about her experiences with reading, and writing, and how things such as her family, peers, interests, and self-views came into play for those two things. I really enjoyed this! It gave me a chance to get to know her, and really see things in her perspective. She eventually really opened up to me, more than I thought she might, but I gained a lot of helpful insight to her views on literature. Many of the things she told me were very much like what we have been learning in regards to making literature appealing for students. With that being said, she mentioned things such as really enjoying reading and writing when it is a choice made by her, rather than required. She loved reading fiction and graphic novels, anything that allows her to use her imagination. She said she really loves writing, but only if it allows her to be creative, she does not enjoy writing prompts assigned by the teacher. She enjoys writing in her writers notebook, because she can simply get all of her ideas out without having to be so stringent on editing. All of this I found really interesting, because it was things that I had been learning about in class, and it was being proven in front of my eyes!

The MGRP visuals I found to be great! I was very impressed with all of the posters of those in our class. Not only was I impressed with the visuals and different genres, but simply the topic itself. I thought it was great to see what people felt passionate about in order to create this rather large project. I loved seeing the creativity in the posters, and the creativity of the genres, i enjoyed asking questions, because many of the students seemed to have a really great knowledge of their subject, so it was great to learn about such a wide variety of seemingly random topics.

1 comment:

  1. Jenn,

    I also did my kidwatching interview last week! It is a great way for your kidwatching student to open up and share what they enjoy outside of school. My child loves superheros and is very passionate about them. I would have never known this if it wasn't for the interview. He usually is quiet in class but he would not stop talking once he got on the topic of superheros.

    Marisa

    ReplyDelete